Monthly Archives: April 2015

Invermectin allergy kills collie; Help grieving family

Yesterday, a tri-color smooth collie named Revan was in a coma as a result of accidental Invermectin consumption. Today, Revan suffered a heart attack and died. Why? Because he was digging in the trash.

Do you know about Invermectin? All dogs owners should, even if you have a mixed breed.

Revan’s owner wanted to share her story to help prevent other dogs from dying similarly.

According to Revan’s owner, Lori, the 2 1/2-year-old Revan got into the trash on Wednesday, 15 April 2015.  Lori told him to “leave it” and thought no more about it until Thursday morning at 5:45 a.m. Revan woke her up and wanted to go outside.

As she recounted, “He went out and used the bathroom but after a few minutes he started acting funny, then drooling excessively, then he became ataxic.”

It was determined that Revan  had “licked residual Ivermectin paste off an empty horse de-wormer tube.”

Lori explained, “Onset of symptoms was 6-8 hours after he could have ingested the paste. I took him to the hospital and his condition worsened. As time went on he couldn’t stand, then couldn’t sit, then stopped being able to drink on his own, then he slipped into a coma.”

On Friday, Lori wrote: “The doctors feel his condition is grave. He is on 24/7 nursing care, IV fluids, heart and blood pressure monitor, oxygen, and urinary catheter. He is being given medication to halt further absorption of the poison and to help his body recuperate from its affects but there is no antidote. The doctor fears his kidneys are starting to fail because he produced no urine for over 12 hours but when we were visiting with him he started to produce some urine. I spent about 3 hours with him today and his heart rate increased and he produced a little urine; other than that he is totally unresponsive.”

Saturday morning, Lori got good news and wrote: “I just got off the phone with the doctor and she says she has consulted with other veterinarians who’ve had similar cases and with a neurologist. They feel that at this point Revan has a good chance of recovery but supportive treatment may be long 10 days to 2 weeks.”

Then less than an hour later, Revan was gone. Lori explained, “The hospital just called and Revan went into cardiac arrest and they were unable to resuscitate him. Less than an hour ago they called and thought he would be ok. The doctor apologized and said she is so sorry that the neroli focal damage to his brain must have progressed to far.”

Ivermectin is used as a wormer. According to Parasitipedia.net, invertebrates, “it blocks the transmission of neuronal signals of the parasites, which are paralyzed and expelled out of the body, or they starve. It also affects the reproduction of some parasites by diminishing oviposition or inducing an abnormal oogenesis.”

Mammals have a blood-brain barrier that “prevents microscopic objects and large molecules to get into the brain.” The medication is used in dogs, cats, cattle, sheep, goats, swing and poultry.

However, dogs with the MDR-1 gene defect cannot ingest Ivermectin without massive neurological symptoms that manifest in uncoordinated trembling, uncontrolled movement, difficulty breathing, drooling and vomiting.  The dog can fall into a coma and die. This is what happened with Revan.

According to CliniciansBrief.com, dog breeds with this mutation are  the border collie, Australian shepherd, longhaired whippet, silken windhound and rough- and smooth-coated collies. Mixed breeds associated with these breeds are also known to show sensitivity to Invermectin. Dogs on farms have a higher risk factor because they can be exposed to formulations meant for large animals and they can be exposed to the drug through the “ingestion of feces from treated cows, horses or pigs.”

Lori and her family are long-time collie rescue volunteers for Rocky Mountain Collie and Sheltie Rescue. They have taken in three Tomball collies: Luan, Satele and Keever. Revan was the leader of the pack. Revan’s family hopes that other people will learn from her mistake.

The estimate for Revan’s treatment is between $1320.06 and $1420.06. If you’d like to donate money to help Revan’s family cope with this tragedy, you can donate directly by calling the veterinary clinic and giving monies to

Powers Pet Emergency and Specialty 

  • Client: 4008
  • Treatment plan ID: 22326
  • 5886 Tutt Blvd.
  • Colorado Springs, CO 80923
    (719) 473-0482
Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under News